Thursday, May 15, 2008

High Drama

My emergency cell rang at 11:50. It's police dispatch telling me that they've gotten several hang-up 911 calls from one of our numbers. My first thought was of the kids down the street who like to run through our lobbies when guests leave the doors unlocked, so I went out to take a peek, and to wait for the officer who was coming to speak with me. No kids, no officer. I went across the street and noticed that two of our guests, a married couple, were arguing in the parking lot.

As I stood outside and waited, the fight got louder. When the officer showed up I told him I had no idea what was going on, but that a couple were going at it. He caught up with them heading into the lobby and left me standing outside in the rain. Soon after another officer showed up, lights flashing. I directed him inside. A few moments later the Sherrif was heading down the road and did a quick u-turn when he saw the two police cars parked on the side of the road. He got out his flashlight and started checking the cars, and I flagged him down and directed him inside. I headed into the office and turned on all the lights and waited.

Some guy was walking down the street and flagged me down. He told me this whole thing started in a bar up the street, and the couple screamed at each other the whole walk back to the inn, so he followed to make sure the woman didn't get hit. He went about his way, and I went back to wait in the office. A few minutes later I saw two of the cars leave, and a third stayed behind to let me know that they'd both been arrested for domestic violence and may or may not be returning tonight.

I'm heading home for some sleep, but don't know if I'll be getting a call in another couple of hours. If they return tonight they may be ordered to stay away from each other, which means I'll have to put them in separate rooms and charge them for it, and I don't want to be in the position of pissing off two people who were just arrested. Update in the morning.

No comments: