Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Blocked at every turn

It's been a long week. Busted my ass to get our new online reservation system up and running by Monday. Got it there, but only after working past midnight on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. When the computer got to be too much I took breaks by cleaning and rearranging our Aveda displays, getting junk and garbage out of the office, and moving empty file boxes upstairs. Come Monday morning the business manager got in and had a cow. She told on me! A couple of hours later the owners sat me down and had a talk about not touching the business manager's things. The owner basically admitted that it's ridiculous, but that it's impossible to work around, and impossible to replace an employee who's been with them for nine years. My instructions were to ask before making any changes, to which I responded that I wasn't trying to make any changes, I was just trying to straighten up!

What I've gotten from both sides of the aisle is that I have no autonomy. I have no authority to make any decisions. I cannot make any changes. At the same time the owner is demanding that I take charge and not ask before doing things. This is turning into an exercise in futility, and I'm not one to sit and spin my wheels. I'm going to document the hell out of everything and let it rest for a few weeks because everyone's about to go on vacation. I'll see how it goes running the place on my own for a week, and then call a meeting with my results.

No comments: